Wednesday, November 5, 2008

First post, but not first day of "The Plan"

Greetings, Before I begin into what "The Plan" is, here's some info on where I stand now.


  • 23 years old.
  • 157 cm / 5' 5"
  • 69 kgs / 152 lbs
  • A pack a day smoker and casual drinker.
Now that's out of the way, here's how I look like:-





Currently, here are the goals, I've set for myself.

December 2008 : Hit 65kgs and gain some muscle definition.
June 2009 : Hit 60kgs and shed of excess body fat.
December 2009 : Hit 55kgs and be a lean machine!

The plan began in September 2008 and all I did was building a fitness base meaning:-
  • 3 sets of 15 pushups
  • 10 chin ups (with anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minute breaks, I couldn't even do 1 in the beginning!)
  • 3 sets of 15 ab crunches.
  • 3 sets of 10 bicep curls.
This was done during Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. No cardio, nothing. Just plain ol' weight training. Dieting was simply a matter of just having 2 meals a day (I rarely wake up in time for breakfast.) I just made sure I ate simple and small meals, no junk food and no snacking in between meals. I drink about 2.5 litres of plain water a day.

Fast forward to October 2008, I began to change my workout plan as I wanted to concentrate on working my core muscles (Back, Chest, Abs, Thighs.) So I found this interesting site called The Hundred Pushups Challenge. It's not so much that I want to be able to do 100 pushups in one go with no rest but the mere fact that the system allows me to push myself better.

In October 2008, I managed to convince my friend Bryan to join me in my workout plan and we added a new step. That is:-

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays: Brisk walk around our area for a grand total of 10km.

So yeah, why did I decide to walk and not run? Well, brisk walking is an aerobic exercise while running is anaerobic.

Aerobic : Your body gets the right amount of oxygen, triggering it to burn fat.
Anaerobic : Your body doesn't get the right amount of oxgen, your heart does get stronger but you don't really burn fat.

Well, that's my rough understanding of it anyways. So if you know better, please comment.

Anyways, now it's November, I'm starting to push harder and instead of brisk walking 3 times a week. I do HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

So now, here's my current plan which I'll stick to with very minor changes till the end of December 2008.

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays
  • Hundredpushups.com Plan.
  • 5 sets of 15 reps various ab workouts.
  • 5 sets of 5 chin ups. (The stronger I get, the more reps I'll do, for now, 5 is fine.)
Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays

  • High Intensity Interval Training. 5-10 intervals each session.
That's it for now, I'll be posting updates and results every week to see how my body is shaping up.

DISCLAIMER : While my workout plan may work for me, it is by no means perfect as I'm constantly reworking it to get the best possible results. It's nothing more than a way for me to keep in check so please don't blame me if it's not working for you. Everybody has different goals, body types, metabolism rates, etc etc and so, do your research and find one that suits you best.


No comments: